Jansson

All about me

I read therefore I am

The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown

The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown - Vaseem Khan A lovely book where the good guys win. Khan's descriptions made me laugh out loud, especially his descriptions of the facial hair of a number of the characters. His descriptions subtly, and sometimes not so subtly, pointed to either the absurdity or the odiousness of a number of the characters. Ganesha is lovely addition to the story and I believe serves as its moral compass.

It's a fun read with Khan managing to successfully juggle the numerous story threads. Thankfully, in resolving them he doesn't feel the need to have them all linked up neatly in the conclusion. Each thread of the story represents its own issues and makes its own fun. The plot is perfectly paced and its twists and turns resembles a carnival at times.

He also managed to illustrate the consequences of the uneven distribution of wealth in society and how it doesn't always coincide with the distribution of kindness and humanity. However he never overplays his hand in this regard.

If you're looking for a more gritty or serious read, it might be best to put it off for another time. But you're ready for a good dose of fun and just a dash of social commentary then you can't go past this. A good fun read.